Boston Marathon Bombing Manhunt Apr 27, 2013

 On Monday, April the 15th two twin bombs exploded at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, four hours after the start of the run. The bombs were situated 100 meters apart on Boston’s Boylston Street, the first exploding an hour and a half after the first runner crossed the finish line.

Three people were killed in the explosion, including 8-year-old Martin Richard, 29- year-old Krystal Campbell and a unidentified Chinese graduate student. Another one hundred seventy-six were injured, including runners, spectators, marathon workers, and emergency responders. 

The bombs were reportedly made from pressure cookers containing nails, ball bearings, and shards of metal. Many of the victims were embedded with metal, suffered from ruptured eardrums, and lost limbs. George Velmahos, the chief of the trauma department at Massachusetts’ General Hospital stated that many of the patients who were waking up without limbs were extremely thankful, expressing their gratitude to be alive. Velmahos commented, “It's almost a paradox to see these patients without an extremity to wake up and feel lucky.”

On the evening of April 15th, President Obama held a press conference about the bombings stating that “any responsible individuals, any responsible groups, will feel the full weight of justice”. While no one claimed responsibility for the bombs, security camera footage showed two suspects leaving a backpack in the street ten minutes before the attack. One of the two suspects died in hospital on the evening of April 18th, after receiving a fatal gunshot wound from a Boston police officer during a car chase. The suspect reportedly threw explosives from the car and exchanged gunfire. Another police officer at the scene was shot and taken to hospital.

The second suspect, identified as 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, believed to be the brother of the first suspect, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, fled the scene and is considered armed and dangerous. An extreme manhunt is now underway for Tsarnaey, with the entirety of Boston under lockdown as police complete door-to-door searches of every residence, ordering residents to stay inside their homes. While officials continue the search, President Obama offered a direct message to the suspect in a memorial service on April 18th, warning the suspect, “We will find you. You will face justice.”

 By: Rebecca Summers

Add a comment

Email again: